The popular compact SUV Kia Sonet is set to receive a facelift in India soon. Although Kia India has not officially announced the launch timeline yet, dealerships across the country have started accepting unofficial pre-launch bookings for the 2023 Kia Sonet facelift model.
The updated Kia Sonet will come with a fresh design and a more premium cabin, along with new features and engine options. Here’s what we know so far about the 2023 Kia Sonet facelift:
Expected Launch Timeline
While Kia India is yet to confirm the exact launch timeline, the 2023 Kia Sonet facelift is likely to hit showrooms in the first half of 2023. Going by the booking timelines of previous models, the official launch should take place within 2-3 months of unofficial bookings opening.
So we expect Kia to introduce the new Sonet by April or May 2023. The compact SUV segment is highly competitive with models like Hyundai Venue, Maruti Suzuki Brezza, Tata Nexon, Mahindra XUV300 and more. The facelifted avatar should help Kia Sonet regain its edge.
Exterior Design Updates
The 2023 Kia Sonet facelift will get noticeable changes to its exterior design in line with the company’s latest ‘Opposites United’ design philosophy. The Tiger Nose grille is set to be larger and sport vertical slats instead of horizontal ones. The headlamps appear sharper and could feature connected LED DRLs.
Changes are expected in the front bumper design along with redesigned fog lamp housings. At the rear, the tail lamps might get new LED graphics. The alloy wheels could also sport a fresh design. Overall, the new Kia Sonet promises to look sportier and more upmarket than the outgoing version.
Interiors and Features Upgrades
The cabin of the Kia Sonet facelift is likely to see a major overhaul. Spy shots indicate it will come loaded with features and sport premium upholstery. A larger 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system and fully-digital instrument cluster seem certain. Wireless phone charging and ventilated front seats could also be on offer.
The long list of comfort and convenience features is expected to include automatic climate control, wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay connectivity, multiple USB charging ports, push button start/stop, electric sunroof, cruise control etc. Passengers will also enjoy a roomier and plusher cabin with ample space for five occupants. Safety kit is likely to include 6 airbags, ABS with EBD, ESC, HSA, TPMS and more.
Kia is likely to provide both petrol and diesel motor options for the new Sonet. A 1.5-litre diesel could be available for buyers looking for high fuel economy and driving range. The 1.2-litre petrol unit might be upgraded to offer improved power and torque. Transmission options should include 5/6-speed manuals and 7-speed DCT automatic gearbox. An iMT or clutchless manual transmission could also make the cut.
variant-wise, customers can choose from HTE, HTK, HTK+, HTX, HTX+, GTX+ trims based on features and budget. Prices are expected to range between Rs 7 lakh and Rs 13 lakh ex-showroom. Kia might also introduce special editions with exclusive exterior/interior highlights.
Prices of the 2023 Kia Sonet facelift are likely to be slightly higher than the current model, which retails between Rs 7.15 lakh and Rs 13.59 lakh ex-showroom. The entry-level variants could start around Rs 7.4 lakh, going up to Rs 14 lakh for the fully-loaded trims. Dealerships accepting unofficial bookings are charging a token amount ranging from Rs 10,000 to Rs 51,000 for the new Sonet.
Should You Book Now?
With many new rivals in the pipeline like the Renault Kiger RXE base variant, an updated Maruti Suzuki Brezza, upcoming Hyundai Venue N Line etc. the compact SUV segment is set to get extremely competitive. So it makes sense for prospective buyers to lock in the 2023 Kia Sonet early.
Though unofficial, pre-launch bookings secure a purchase priority when deliveries officially commence. Given how popular the Sonet has been, the waiting period could extend up to 6 months for select variants post launch. By booking now without a long commitment period, buyers also block the current price.
The token amount is quite nominal and 100% adjustable or refundable if needed. The new Sonet also promises to raise the bar further with its feature-loaded cabin, powerful and efficient engine options, and head-turning sporty design. For those wanting a fully-loaded premium compact SUV, it emerges as the perfect choice.
The facelifted 2023 Kia Sonet is shaping up to be an compelling upgrade over the outgoing version which is already among the segment leaders. Unofficial pre-launch bookings signal its India launch should happen within the next few months, likely by April-May 2023. Compared to today’s model, the new Sonet scores higher in design, features, comfort, performance and overall premium appeal.
Prices are tipped to range from Rs 7.4 lakh to Rs 14 lakh across variants. Early unofficial bookings fetch priority delivery upon launch for just a token amount. All factors considered, the 2023 Kia Sonet facelift promises to be a benchmark premium compact SUV combining style, comfort, performance and value.
How long is the waiting period for Kia Sonet?
The waiting period for the Kia Sonet in India ranges from 0 to 39 weeks, depending on the variant and location. The waiting period is typically longer for diesel variants and in major cities.
Here is a breakdown of the waiting period by variant:
- 1.0L Turbo-Petrol: 0-12 weeks
- 1.2L Kappa Petrol: 0-8 weeks
- 1.5L Diesel: 12-39 weeks
Please note that these are just estimates and the actual waiting period may vary. It is always best to contact your nearest Kia dealership for the most accurate information.
Here are some of the factors that can affect the waiting period for the Kia Sonet:
- Demand: The Kia Sonet is a popular car in India, so there is high demand for it. This can lead to longer waiting periods.
- Supply: The supply of the Kia Sonet can be affected by factors such as chip shortages and production disruptions. This can also lead to longer waiting periods.
- Location: The waiting period for the Kia Sonet may be longer in major cities than in smaller towns.
If you are interested in buying a Kia Sonet, it is recommended that you book your car as early as possible to avoid a long wait.
Is Kia Sonet getting a facelift?
Yes, the Kia Sonet is getting a facelift. The updated model is expected to be launched in India on December 14, 2023.
The facelifted Sonet will feature a number of cosmetic changes, including a new grille, revised bumpers, and new alloy wheels. It will also get a refreshed interior with new features like a fully digital instrument cluster and touch-based controls for the AC functions.
Under the hood, the facelifted Sonet is expected to retain the same engine options as the current model. These include a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine, a 1.2-litre petrol engine, and a 1.5-litre diesel engine.
The expected price of the facelifted Sonet is between Rs 8.00 Lakh to 15.00 Lakh (ex-showroom).
Here is a summary of the expected changes to the Kia Sonet facelift:
- Exterior: New grille, revised bumpers, new alloy wheels
- Interior: Fully digital instrument cluster, touch-based controls for the AC functions, updated interior theme and upholstery, sun-blinds for the second-row windows, and an ADAS suite
- Engine: Same as current model (1.0-litre turbo-petrol, 1.2-litre petrol, 1.5-litre diesel)
- Price: Rs 8.00 Lakh to 15.00 Lakh (ex-showroom)
Will Kia Sonet price increase in 2023?
Yes, the prices of the Kia Sonet facelift model launching in 2023 are expected to be higher than the current model. Here are some key details:
- Current Price Range: The outgoing Kia Sonet is priced between Rs 7.15 lakh to Rs 13.59 lakh (ex-showroom) across variants.
- Expected Price Hike: Industry experts predict a 5-10% increase for most variants when the 2023 Kia Sonet facelift launches. Some auto media reports also suggest prices could start from Rs 7.6 lakh.
- Reasons for Price Increase: Rising input costs, new features additions like 10.25-inch touchscreen, digital cluster, ventilated seats etc. and fresh design changes are key contributors to the expected price jump. Upgraded powertrains if introduced, would also add to costs.
- Top Variant Prices: Range-topping trims like GTX+ which currently retail around Rs 13 lakh could breach Rs 14 lakh mark after the facelift. Additional features like wireless charger, air purifier, paddle shifters (AT only) etc. justify the increase.
- Segment Dynamics: Even after the price hike, Kia Sonet will remain competitively priced against rivals Hyundai Venue, Maruti Brezza, Tata Nexon, Mahindra XUV300 in the hot compact SUV space when launched.
In a nutshell, a 5-10% increase looks certain for most 2023 Kia Sonet trims given the upgrades and market dynamics. But additional value offered through features and design enhancements should make it worthwhile for prospective buyers even at higher prices.
Is Sonet stable at high speed?
Yes, the Kia Sonet offers stable high speed performance thanks to its sturdy chassis, optimized suspension system and powerful engine options.
Here are some key factors that contribute to the Sonet’s composure at higher speeds:
- Strong Chassis and Body Structure: The Sonet is underpinned by a rigid steel unibody frame with high torsional rigidity. This allows it to resist body flex even when driven vigorously.
- Tuned Suspension Setup: It gets a MacPherson strut front and torsion beam rear suspension finely tuned by Kia engineers for Indian road conditions. The antivibration dampers offer superior ride quality across speeds.
- Engine Performance: Available powertrains like the 1.5 diesel, 1.0 turbo petrol and even 1.2 petrol offer strong mid-range punch for confident overtakes and cruising. The turbo-petrol posts a 0-100 kmph time under 11 seconds.
- Braking Hardware: 255mm ventilated front discs and 240mm rear drum units ensure confident, fade-free braking even from triple digit speeds. The rear drums have been optimized for effective heat dissipation.
So while high speed dynamics are not a traditional forte for compact SUVs, the Kia Sonet does a very competent job at maintaining stability as speeds rise. With a well-weighted steering, flat cornering and sure-footed grip, it inspires driving confidence on open highways.
Is Kia Sonet a success?
Yes, the Kia Sonet has been a runaway success in the Indian market ever since its launch in September 2020. Here’s a look at some key facts that establish it as a winning product:
- Sales Numbers: Kia has sold over 1.5 lakh units of the Sonet in just 2 years in India. For context, it took the Seltos 3 years to breach this sales milestone. This makes the Sonet the bestselling model for Kia.
- Segment Ranking: The Sonet became India’s 3rd bestselling compact SUV within the first year itself, trailing only Maruti Vitara Brezza and Hyundai Venue. However, it has beaten the Venue consistently in 2022 sales tally.
- Awards: Sonet’s feature-packed value proposition led it to bag many awards like ‘Indian Car of The Year 2021’ , ‘Subcompact SUV of the Year’ at BBC TopGear Awards and more. This highlights its industry-wide acceptance.
- Exports: On the back of robust domestic reception, Kia also began exports of made-in-India Sonets across markets like South Africa, Central-South American regions adding to success.
- Customer Satisfaction: Reviews, feedback and ownership forums underline how Sonet has won buyers with its style, packaging, performance and experience. From quality to after-sales service, it matches segment benchmarks.
With distinctive styling, extensive features list spanning multiple variants, efficient petrol/diesel choices and sporty long-legged character, the well-rounded Kia Sonet delivered on aspirations of personal car buyers to become a popular smash hit.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?